Tips Fill in the BlanksPTE- Reading and Writing Tricks Magical. PTE – Reading is the most daunting task for PTE test-takers. In fact, it is more difficult than IELTS reading according to many people. There are not many tricks involved in PTE Reading as compared to other tasks. So, it becomes very critical to attaining proficiency in other related tasks such as Summarize written text and read aloud. This will help you to lessen the burden on other reading tasks which are not that easy which include the topic of discussion here PTE- Reading and writing fill in the blanks.
In this article, Tricks Magical are trying to present a few tips and tricks to tackle this difficult task. You can read more Tips PTE Summarize Spoken Text 79+.
I. Tips Tips Fill in the Blanks PTE: Two ways to handle question
There are two ways to handle this question in Tips Fill in the Blanks PTE reading and Writing
- The first way is to read a lot of articles such as news, general knowledge and others and try to learn and use English as a native user of English language so that you may answer the fill in the blanks naturally. It requires a lot of effort and practice to master in this way. Additionally, try to read and understand collocations. Collocations are a group of words that generally come or occur together.
- The second method is to get clarity of certain aspects of grammar and try to solve them based on your knowledge of grammar.
Here in this article, we are trying to explain certain aspects of grammar that might be helpful to you in handling difficult reading questions.
II. Tips Fill in the Blanks to use nouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives
- After having helping/auxiliary verbs like is/am/are/was/were in the sentence use the third form of a verb ➤ Present/Past Simple tense passive voice.
Or use verb + ing ➤ Present continuous tense.
- With Has/Have/Had always use the third form of verb ➤ Past/Perfect Perfect tense.
- With Be/Been/Being use the third form of a verb
- Do/Does/Did + not use the first form of verb
- Infinitive ➤ To + first form of a verb
- Preposition + first form of verb + ing (except ‘to’)
- Modals ( ) + first form of verb
- Articles (a, an, the) + noun
- Articles (a, an, the) + adjective + noun
- Possessive pronouns such as yours, ours, its, their, this, that, those + nouns
- Possessive pronouns such as yours, ours, its, their, this, that, those + adjective + noun
- Helping verb + adverb + principal/main verb
He was continuously running.
- He/She/it/ Singular third person + first form of a verb(s)
- I/we/you/they + first form of a verb(s)
- ‘And’ is used to connect the same family members i.e an adjective with an adjective, a noun with a noun.
III. How to recognize Noun, Verb, Adverb and Adjective – Tips Fill in the Blanks
Let us understand them one by one, Tips Fill in the Blanks PTE:
A noun is usually a name of person, place or thing.
A word is a noun in most of the cases below:
A noun can follow articles (a, an, the) or quantity words such as some, a lot, a number. Usually, most of the nouns are preceded by articles but not always. For Example, a banana, an umbrella. Note: uncountable nouns do not have plurals forms, but they can be checked by adding ‘any’ or ‘some’ before them. For example, uncountable noun ‘water’ does not have a plural form, but we can always say like ‘please give me some water’.
A noun mostly can be pluralized. (Uncountable nouns, however, do not have a plural form eg. Music, art, love). For example, two bananas, Some umbrellas.
It can be used in the pattern: article + adjective + noun. For example, a colourful umbrella.
The words ending with below-mentioned endings are generally nouns:
……ment ➤ development, unemployment, government, etc.
……ness ➤ laziness, fitness, loneliness, etc.
……tion/sion ➤ action, admission, expansion, alteration etc.
……ty ➤ safety, complexity, similarity, etc.
……ance/ence ➤ independence, endurance, assistance, etc.
……er ➤ driver, teacher etc (but not comparatives like smaller, greater, etc)
……ism ➤ criticism, communism, etc.
……ship ➤ friendship, ownership, etc.
……age ➤ mileage, postage, baggage, breakage, etc.
……dom ➤ freedom, kingdom, etc.
……hood ➤ parenthood, brotherhood, childhood, etc.
A word is a verb if it expresses an action, occurrence, or states of being.
A word is a verb in most of the cases below: A word which can be used in the third person singular verb form. Take an example of the word ‘run’. We can always say that ‘he runs’.
When it can be used with ‘ing’ ending. For example, he is running.
If it can be used with a modal verb. For example, he can run for three hours continuously.
The words ending with below-mentioned endings are generally the verb:
…..ate ➤ dominate, irritate, regulate, etc.
…..ated ➤ dominated, irritated, regulated, etc.
…..en ➤ awaken, soften, fasten, etc.
…..ify ➤ identify, satisfy, exemplify, etc.
…..ise/ize ➤ realise, finalize, etc.
A word is an adverb if it modifies or describes a verb, adjective, sometimes another adverb, or sometimes a whole sentence.
Generally, we can recognize them with ‘ly’ in the end
…..ly ➤ firmly, eagerly, slowly, etc.
A word is an adjective in most of the cases below:
If a word can take the comparative ending ‘er’. For example, This umbrella is smaller than the other. Here the word ‘small’ is an adjective.
or, if a word can take the superlative ending ‘est’. For example, he is the tallest person in the class.
or, it can follow the verb ‘seems’. For example, she seems more beautiful than her sister.
The words ending with below-mentioned endings are generally adjectives:
……able ➤ comfortable, durable, knowledgeable, etc.
……less ➤ harmless, priceless, endless, etc.
……ous ➤ dangerous, famous, nervous, etc.
……ful ➤ cheerful, colourful, playful, etc.
……ive ➤ defective, lucrative, attractive, etc.
……some ➤ awesome, cumbersome, etc.
……ical ➤magical, political, optical, etc.
Tricks Magical hope the above-discussed points will help you to an extent in dealing with the reading questions. Still, in reading, a lot of effort and practise is required.
Tricks Magical give you imformation for PTE Exam Preparation Guide – How to prepare for PTE Exam. This help you understand detail the PTE exam.