Tips for the TOEIC test Part 1: DESCRIPTION OF THE PICTURE
TOEIC listening Part 1 – Describing pictures is one of the easiest parts to review and score. However, not everyone can practice TOEIC listening part 1 effectively, as well as the typical traps or appear in this section.
If you don’t know how to prepare TOEIC Self-Study Roadmap, Tricks Magical will give you Tips Preparation TOEIC and TOEIC Self-Study Roadmap to improve high sores Toeic for you.
I. PROFILE OF TOEIC PART 1
1. Exam structure
TOEIC Listening Part 1 is a picture and description content. This section contains 6 pictures, each picture will have 4 descriptive sentences not printed in the topic. Your task is to listen and choose the answer that best describes the picture.
Previously, this part was considered to be quite easy, however, according to the new topic, this section is considered to be quite difficult with images and descriptions with many “trick” elements that make the contestants bewildered.
2. How to allocate time to work
With Part 1, you only have 1 minute 25s to listen to the test instructions. In this brief time, take a quick look at pictures to visualize their meaning and shape the ideas that come to mind.
Entering each question you will:
1: Listen to the tape and read the answers, A, B, C, D (between answers there will be 5s to rest)
2: Use the first 3 seconds to color the answer
3: 2 seconds later look down to the next picture to prepare
The first part that starts well will help you feel more confident in the next questions.
3. Types of pictures appearing in the test
In the TOEIC Listening Part 1, there are usually two types of pictures:
Painting people (describe one person or many people): 7 – 8 pictures
Paintings of objects and landscapes: 2-3 paintings
II. METHODS OF TOEIC LISTENING PART 1
1. Tips for the TOEIC test Part 1: Pictures of people
a. The description structure
When listening, Tips for the TOEIC test Part 1, you will see structures describing pictures of people as follows:
- Note: Verbs are usually divided in the continuous form
Analysis of pictures before listening to TOEIC part 1: This step is very important whether in the preparation process or taking the exam in the exam room. Take time to look closely at the picture and pay attention to the following:
- Character appearance characteristics: Observe the character to infer information about gender, costume, occupation, … Try to think as much as possible words that can appear in the article (the man, he, the woman, she, long sleeves, tie, glasses, wearing, adjusting,. …)
- Action of body parts: Eyes (which direction to look, where to look, …), hands (holding, holding, …), legs (running, standing, …). Similar to the previous section, think of the verbs that can appear in the lesson (hold, stare, look at, …)
- Scenery, furniture in the picture: based on the context in the picture to infer the location of the picture: in the meeting room, in the kitchen, the park, …. Think of all the words that can be heard in the beginning (park, conference room, kitchen, etc.)
Learning vocabulary: Based on the analysis of the picture above, we can define the vocabulary topics that we should learn as follows:
Verbs, phrasal verbs that indicate the action of clothes by Tips for the TOEIC test Part 1:
Building a library of possible expressions for an action:
- They are shaking hand / they are greeting each other
- taking note / writing something down / writing in the paper
- making a call / hanging up the phone / talking on the phone
- have a meeting / sitting opposite each other / sitting across from each other
c. Pay attention to common traps
- Subject trap: False in number of people and gender
People can see that the picture above is only one man but the answers starting with “they” appear. So I can completely eliminate this answer when listening.
- Traps for action:
As for this picture, the first 3 answers are the right subject but their actions are wrong. So when you listen, remember to pay attention to the action, not just the subject.
2. Tips for the TOEIC test Part 1: Pictures of objects
a. The description structure
When listening, you will see structures that describe the painting as follows:
b. Advice for you
Analyze pictures before listening: Similar to descriptions of people, we also have to do this step with pictures. You should pay attention to the following:
- Objects in the picture: what is the name of the item, …
- Location of objects: on water, on a table, on the ground, on the sides, in the middle, …
- Status of objects: closed, open, full, empty, …
- Location: in the room, on the road, in the park, …
c. Pay attention to common traps
The answer has a subject who is a person: If the answer has a subject who is a person, please remove this answer first
3. Tips for the TOEIC test Part1: The notes when practicing
For you, the listening ability is still not good, she recommends using the listening – spelling method for this part. Practice listening to TOEIC Part 1 properly, you will also have many opportunities to get the highest score on this test.
This will take a bit of time, but in return, your ability to hear every word correctly will be greatly improved. Sometimes there are words you know your face but when you are not sure you may hear them.
Follow these 3 steps:
1: Play the audio tape 1 time.
2: Open and stop each sentence, listen, guess and write down everything you hear in the topic.
3: Check answers with scripts at the end of the book and listen carefully to words / sentences that you cannot hear well.
While practicing the exam, taking the test, taking advantage of the time to read the topic to glance at the pictures, the analysis is similar to the instructions above but it needs to be faster.
Doing on the answer sheet of the real test to get used to + speed up the answers. Can’t hear the answer A => skip listening to the other answers. Avoid thinking about the previous sentence.
How to choose the answer: Put the pencil tip into answer A, if the next answers are better => move. If the following answers are not correct, keep the pencil tip intact.
Only answer answers when hearing enough 4 answers.
If you know how to learn TOEIC part 2, Tricks Mgical help you the solution to Part 2 easily through Tips Part 2 TOEIC Listening.